After shopping at Macy's, one member of FBC Dallas was left with a bad taste in their mouth after this shocking experience:
"Employees would only respond with "you too" when wished a Merry Christmas."
Oh, the horror. And someone in Crowley, TX added this review about their town hall:
"The city hall at Crowley has GIANT letters in front of the city buildings that say "HAPPY HOLIDAYS"......I say "booooooooo"!!! Merry Christmas is the true REASON for the SEASON!!!"
I suppose everyone will have to avoid shopping at the courthouse.
This is not a fight we need to have. Stores have become much more accepting of Christmas in recent years and signs saying "Merry Christmas" are a common sight. But that's not the point.
When we engage in these battles, we create enmity between ourselves and others. Rather than sowing peace and getting along with our neighbors, we are creating strife and casting ourselves as the enemy. Store owners are rolling their eyes and complaining about those whining Christians rather than seeing Believers as representatives of a loving God. Forcing people to decorate their store with your preferred religious icons is a a throwback to medieval savagery, and we would do best to leave those days behind.
I'm trying to add FBC Dallas to the naughty list on their website (GrinchAlert.com). Let's see if it works. (FBC Dallas, thanks for bringing us all the wrong kind of publicity.)
18 comments:
Amen!
I just heard about this on the radio today and I think it is a total waste of time! Christians need to be more concerned with the pure proclamation of the Gospel! This type of nonsense isn't doing anything but furthering the general opinion that Christians think they are better than others... sad sad sad...
great article as usual Adam...
Stop making sense. The internet is no place for logical arguments. I'm not feeling inflamed enough! >:[
Thank you for vocalizing what I have been thinking since I saw the story on the news last night. We Christians need to work on respecting others beliefs if we are too demand that they respect ours.
We need a follow-up post to let us know if you were able to add FBC-Dallas to the list. I don't know if I should find that funny...but I do.
Not that it's a big deal, and maybe it was on purpose....but for those not locally familiar, you might spell out that FBC is First Baptist Church of Dallas...at first glance at the title I thought it was maybe about soccer (FC Dallas being our Major League Soccer team).
Thanks for pointing out the 'reason' for the season is really about a loving, saving God...not one with scourn, calling those with the wrong phrases in their windows, 'naughty.'
I'm pretty sure this is the opposite illustration of what Jesus preferred to do by eating with the sinners in their homes.
FBC should really be ashamed of themselves and the wrong message they're portraying about our Lord, His representatives, & His all-powerful Love & forgiveness that can cover anything.
I kinda wanna send a link to your post to them... I mean it seemd to work last time with the dummies burning Korans.
Thanks for your support, everyone.
I was not able to add them to the site, because they review those things before they let them onto the list. They probably assumed some spammers would come by.
Come on now Adam, people deserve to be reminded of Jesus when they buy things at the holidays. Besides, it's not like he ever told anyone to sell all their possession and give to the poor in order to be perfect. FBC Dallas is just upholding the Biblical commandment that thou shalt buy a bunch of crap from China and give it to your friends and family to celebrate the birth of someone who commanded thee to do the opposite of that. Verily. Cut em some slack!
Ya this is stupid...take it down
Happy Festivus from the rest of us!
I agree with you once again, Adam.
This is as ridiculous as the political correctness it is supposed to criticizing. It's too bad that too many Christians believe that standing up for Christ means being as obnoxious as they can.
I definitely agree with you on this, Adam and absolutely echo what "J" said. Why are people worried about the way they are wished a merry Christmas. Just because someone says "happy holidays" does not mean that they do not know the meaning of Christmas. I think this website need to come down!
Very very good!!! Thanks Adam for your great posts!
I thought your comments were very interesting and thought-provoking. I went to check FBD's site-- and most of the places listed were complimentary about saying Merry Christmas. American Family Association has been doing this type of list for years, and it really has made a difference in what stores do in their advertising (like Lowe's is calling them Christmas trees this year instead of holiday trees). I am glad a church has enough guts to stand up for Christmas! Because if we don't, who will? (that doesn't mean we need to be tacky, but we can still let them know what we feel). And some companies are so anti-Christian (like Banana Republic), it is good to know who to support.
The "reason for the season" is LOVE.
I wish Christians would remember what their most important job is instead of complaining about something so unimportant!
Wonderfully written, Adam.
So I emailed Dr. Jeffress in hopes that he will at least read the email. I have no lofty misconceptions that he will actually respond to me, nor is he obligated to... in any case, a copy of the email I sent or at least the 10 points I made can be found here
http://threebelievers.blogspot.com/2010/12/just-throwing-out-some-thoughts-on-fbc.html
would love feedback should anyone wish to comment about it...
Wow. My first thought was to forget any over-spiritualized or bs value that people pretend to support cause they think they're supposed to; the guy should take it down cause it's incredibly stupid. After watching the interview on j's site, I was shocked by his dishonesty and smugness. Forget the website and Christmas, this guy has much deeper problems than merely liking controversy.
Post a Comment